Bitonic celebrates its ninth anniversary today!
Nine years ago already. The day Bitonic became an officially registered company with the Chamber of Commerce. On May 1, 2012, the first Bitcoin company in the Netherlands was a fact!
Because Bitcoin was only known to a very small group of people at the time and because the world has changed completely in the past nine years, we would like to share a few #funfacts with you.
Did you know?
- May 1, 2012 is the official birthday of Bitonic because this is when the registration with the Chamber of Commerce took place, but the very first transaction already took place on April 25, 2012?
- Bitonic was first called Idealcoin? This name has been changed to Bitonic because iDEAL is a protected identity and we therefore we wanted to avoid problems.
- Bitonic is an anagram of Bitcoin?
- In the Netherlands, before Bitonic existed and apart from exchanges like MtGox, bitcoins were mainly sold through OTC constructions via, for example, IRC, Marktplaats and web shops (in order to be able to use iDEAL)? As you can imagine, this required a lot of confidence in the counterparty whether they would actually send the bitcoins.
- The first transaction ever via Bitonic was an amount of 39 BTC, for € 165,43 on 25-04-2012?
- The first code for the Bitonic website from 2011 is still being used in our current website?
- The first bitcoin price determination was via NewLibertyStandard?
- Bitcoinmarket.com (Mar,2010) was the first ever bitcoin exchange?
Quote user dwdollar (January 15, 2010, 09:42:18 AM) via Bitcointalk.org: "Hi everyone. I'm in the process of building an exchange. I have big plans for it, but I still have a lot of work to do. It will be a real market where people will be able to buy and sell Bitcoins with each other. In the coming weeks I should have a website with a basic framework set up. Please bear with me."
- MtGox (Jul, 2010) was developed by Jed McCaleb, sold MtGox to Mark Karpales and later spearheaded the development of Ripple and Stellar?
- Bitmarket.eu (Jul,2011) was the first European bitcoin exchange?
- FBTC (Jun, 2013) was the first official Dutch bitcoin exchange and this exchange was set up to launder stolen money? Read the story
- After MtGox (Jul, 2010), the following exchanges were founded in 2011: Britcoin/Intersango (Mar, 2011), BitMarket.eu (Apr, 2011), TradeHill.com (Jun, 2011), BTC-e (Jul, 2011), Bitstamp (Aug, 2011), Vircurex, (Oct, 2011) Bitcoinica (Oct, 2011)?